OAKLAND, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
OAKLAND, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Oakland (Oak Land) was a farming community on Farm Road 2653 eleven miles northwest of Sulphur Springs in northwestern Hopkins County. It was settled by the early 1900s, when a public school was operating; in 1905 the school had an enrollment of thirty-eight. In the mid-1930s Oakland had the school, two churches, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of the residents moved away. The school was consolidated with the Sulphur Springs school district, and by the early 1960s all that remained of the community was the church and a few houses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "OAKLAND, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrozq), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.