PANCAKE, TEXAS. Pancake is at the intersection of Farm roads 2955 and 217, thirteen miles northwest of Gatesville in northern Coryell County. A post office opened there in 1884 with John R. Pancake as postmaster. It was discontinued in 1886, and mail for the community was sent to Jonesboro. In 1894 the community was granted another post office, which was called Bush. Two years later the town reported having a general store, a flour mill and gin, and 200 residents. The name of the post office was changed back to Pancake in 1901. This office was discontinued in 1908, and community mail was again sent to Jonesboro. The population of Pancake was reported as twenty-five from the 1930s through the 1960s. No further estimates were available until 2000 when the population was eleven.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "PANCAKE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp02), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.