PATRICIA, TEXAS. Patricia, at the junction of State Highway 349 and Farm Road 703, twelve miles southeast of Lamesa in southwestern Dawson County, was established in 1923 as the headquarters of the Birge-Forbes Land Company of Sherman, Texas, which owned eight leagues of Dawson County land. Matthew C. Lindsey, agent for the company and local historian, sold tracts to farmers, and the company built a gin. A post office was established in 1923 after the original name, Natalie, was changed to Patricia, perhaps for Patricia Hopkins, granddaughter of a company owner. In 1948 the town had seven businesses and sixty people. The population remained at sixty in 1980 through 2000. By 1980 the post office had closed.
Matthew Clay Lindsey, The Trail of Years in Dawson County (Fort Worth: Wallace, 1958?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "PATRICIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp11), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.