PLEASANT HILL, TX (MILAM COUNTY)
PLEASANT HILL, TEXAS (Milam County). Pleasant Hill is a small mining community located in southern Milam County ten miles southeast of Rockdale and four miles west of U.S. Highway 77. It was established in 1882 and was reportedly named for its scenic beauty and for the friendliness of its early residents. Pleasant Hill was part of a Methodist circuit rider's route by the late 1890s. The community had a one-teacher school with twenty-six students in 1903. In the 1940s Pleasant Hill had a church, a school, a business, and a few scattered houses. The school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949. A church, a community hall, and several mining operations marked the location of Pleasant Hill on county highway maps in 1988; no population estimates were available.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "PLEASANT HILL, TX (MILAM COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp40), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.