PORFIRIO, TEXAS. Porfirio is on Farm roads 498 and 1420, twelve miles southeast of Raymondville in southeastern Willacy County. The site, named in 1926, was the location of a railroad siding and gin on the Porfirio García ranch. In 1940 an oil well on the ranch, known as Porfirio No. 1, opened the Willamar oilfield, which comprised more than 150 wells by 1947. From 1949 to 1967 Porfirio had an estimated population of forty and two businesses. In the mid-1980s it remained a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "PORFIRIO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp50), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.