PEYTON, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)
PEYTON, TEXAS (Williamson County). Peyton was on Salado Creek and Farm Road 487 six miles southeast of Florence in northwest Williamson County. The settlement was founded by William Anderson Wilson, who purchased land by the creek and ran a store there in the later part of the nineteenth century. The community had a post office in 1885–86 and a popular half-mile race track nearby. The Bartlett and Western Railway passed near Peyton around 1914, and a railroad siding was built near the Wilson house to allow the family to ship lumber. Flooding destroyed a number of homes on the site in the early twentieth century, and in 1948 the community was no longer shown on county maps.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "PEYTON, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp83), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.