POST OAK, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)
POST OAK, TEXAS (Washington County). Post Oak, a northeastern Washington County agricultural community, is located near State Highway 105 between William Penn and Washington. In 1969 black Catholics constructed a mission church, the Christian Life Blessed Virgin Center at Post Oak. Land for the center was given by descendants of black Catholics who came to the area with plantation owner Malcolm Spain in the 1840s. In December 1984 Deacon Bill Meridan began his ministry at the center, which served the Washington County black community served earlier by Sacred Heart Mission near Washington.
W. O. Dietrich, The Blazing Story of Washington County (Brenham, Texas: Banner Press, 1950; rev. ed., Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1973). Charles F. Schmidt, History of Washington County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1949).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "POST OAK, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp86), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.