PINEY, TX (HARRISON COUNTY)
PINEY, TEXAS (Harrison County). Piney (Pine Ridge) is a small rural community in northwestern Harrison County on Farm Road 2208 twelve miles northwest of Marshall and one mile from the Marion county line. It was founded sometime prior to 1901, when Pine Ridge post office was opened. The community had four schools in 1904, and Pine Ridge school district served eighty-two white pupils and ninety-nine black pupils that year. The post office closed in 1908, but Pine Ridge schools still served some 190 pupils in 1937. By 1961 the town was called Piney, and it had a church, a cemetery, and several scattered residences.
Ennis B. Carrington, An Administrative Survey and Proposed Plan of Reorganization for the Public Schools of Harrison County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "PINEY, TX (HARRISON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrp94), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.