PEACH TREE, TX (MEDINA COUNTY)
PEACH TREE, TEXAS (Medina County). Peach Tree was a ranching community centered near Middle Verde Creek, a mile west of Farm Road 689 and seventeen miles north of Hondo in north central Medina County. In 1907 twenty-one pupils attended the one-teacher Peach Tree School. The dispersed rural community was spread out over many square miles of the rugged Hill Country terrain; ranchers raised cattle, goats, and sheep. In 1924 many of the children at the far reaches of the community traveled to school by horse or by car. The area around Peach Tree had abundant wild turkey and deer and was considered a sportsman's paradise. Bat guano collected from Ney's Bat Cave, located in the northern portion of the community near the Bandera county line, was sold commercially by some citizens of Peach Tree from 1904 to 1930. Though there is evidence of an active Peach Tree School and a scattering of homesites in 1947, they appear to have been abandoned by 1962.
Houston B. Eggen, History of Public Education in Medina County, Texas, 1848–1928 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "PEACH TREE, TX (MEDINA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpan), accessed September 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.