PLEASANT SPRINGS, TX
PLEASANT SPRINGS, TEXAS. Pleasant Springs is a rural community located about five miles northeast of Centerville in central Leon County. This settlement began in the latter half of the nineteenth century and was probably closely tied to a neighboring area known as Davis or Davisville. Early residents included the Davis and Jackson families. Cyrus Davis, a freed slave from the Redland Plantation near Centerville, purchased land in the area in 1868, and the oldest marked grave in Pleasant Springs Cemetery is that of Davis, who died on June 10, 1893. In 1915 the Davis-Pleasant Springs School, an African-American school, operated as part of the Centerville District. During the 1930s county highway maps listed the community of Davisville in the area of Pleasant Springs and showed a church, school, and two businesses. In the 1960s Pleasant Springs was listed on highway maps and was still depicted in the late 1990s. No population figures were available in 2000 or 2010.
Pleasant Springs Cemetery website (http://www.rootsweb.com/~txleon/cemeteries/pr/pleasantsprings.htm), accessed March 12, 2014.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "PLEASANT SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpbs), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on March 12, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.