POPHER, TEXAS. Popher was near the Angelina River 21½ miles southeast of Homer in eastern Angelina County. A post office served the settlement from 1890 to 1903. As late as the mid-1930s Popher still had a church and a sawmill. Much of the surrounding area was inundated after the completion of Sam Rayburn Reservoir in 1960, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "POPHER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpjn), accessed February 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.