PHILIPS, TEXAS. Philips, also known as Philip's Chapel, three miles east of Roane in eastern Navarro County, was probably established before 1900 and was named for an early local church. A Philips school was in operation by the early 1900s; in 1906 it had an enrollment of forty black students. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a cemetery, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II most of the residents moved away, the church was disbanded, and the school was consolidated with that of Roane. In the mid-1960s all that remained was a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PHILIPS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpmj), accessed October 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.