POLONIA, TEXAS. Polonia was a small rural community located five miles northwest of Lockhart in northwestern Caldwell County. The area was settled in the second half of the nineteenth century by a group of Polish immigrants. At one point the community had a church, two schools, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. County highway maps of the area in the late 1940s showed a school, a church, and a few scattered houses at the site. The school was consolidated with the Lockhart Independent School District in 1949. No population estimates were available, and only the cemetery marked the site on county highway maps in the 1980s.
Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "POLONIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpnl), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.