PLEASANT GROVE, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)
PLEASANT GROVE, TEXAS (Upshur County). Pleasant Grove, also known as Nubbin Ridge, is a rural community twelve miles southwest of Gilmer on Farm Road 1002 in western Upshur County. It was first settled before the turn of the century. A school was in operation by 1906, when it had an enrollment of fifty-one black students. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, and a number of houses; the school was famous in the area for its baseball teams. After World War II the school was consolidated with Big Sandy district, and in the mid-1960s a church, a community center, and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In 1990 Pleasant Grove was a dispersed rural community. No population estimates were available. By 2000 the population was listed as thirty-five.
Doyal T. Loyd, A History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1966). Audie Ray, Lurline, and Douglas Ray Stanley, comps. and eds., Upshur County Cemetery Records (Gilmer, Texas, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PLEASANT GROVE, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpqm), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.