PLEASANT HILL, TX (NACOGDOCHES COUNTY)
PLEASANT HILL, TEXAS (Nacogdoches County). Pleasant Hill, also known as the Bogg, a rural community located at the intersection of Farm Roads 2664 and 2864 twelve miles north of Nacogdoches in northern Nacogdoches County, was settled prior to the Civil War. A log church was constructed around 1860. The name Pleasant Hill came into common usage after the Civil War, but locals sometimes refer to the area as the Bogg after a small pond nearby. In 1904 a school for black children had an enrollment of forty-three, and a school for white children had an enrollment of forty. A town did not begin to grow up until 1906 when the Caro Northern Railway was built through the area. A four-room schoolhouse was built in 1914. In the mid-1930s Pleasant Hill had the two schools, two churches, and a number of houses. In the early 1990s Pleasant Hill was a dispersed community; it had two churches, a community center, and a grocery store. Though no population figures were available in 2000, approximately 100 families lived in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PLEASANT HILL, TX (NACOGDOCHES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpuk), accessed December 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.