PILGRIM REST, TX
PILGRIM REST, TEXAS. Pilgrim Rest is on Farm Road 2946 four miles east of Emory in eastern Rains County. It was first settled around the time of the Civil War. A school was in operation by 1904, when it had an enrollment of 101. In the mid-1930s the settlement had a school, a church, and a number of scattered dwellings. After World War II the school closed, and in the early 1990s a church, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings still remained. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was seventy-two.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "PILGRIM REST, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpxj), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.