RED LAWN, TX
RED LAWN, TEXAS. Red Lawn is on U.S. Highway 69 eight miles south of Rusk in south central Cherokee County. The area was first settled before the Civil War, but a community did not begin to grow up until 1891, when the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway was built and Red Lawn became a station on the line. Around 1900 L. L. Cole operated a general store there, and J. A. Willis had a cotton gin. In 1940 Red Lawn had a school, a church, three businesses, and a population of seventy. The school and the businesses closed after World War II, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "RED LAWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr12), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.