REEDVILLE, TEXAS. Reedville is on Farm Road 1984 ten miles west of Lockhart in extreme western Caldwell County. The land was part of the grant made to William Pettus by the Mexican government in 1831. Jonathan Ellison purchased 1,400 acres from the Pettus estate at an auction in 1846, and after Ellison's death in 1878, the land went to his children. One of his daughters, Margaret Elizabeth, married Maj. A. Reed, a Confederate cavalryman. In 1887 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas laid tracks through Major Reed's farm, and Reedville was established as a shipping point for cotton. A post office operated there from 1890 to 1918. In 1896 Reedville had a population of 100, a cornmill and gin, and a general store. It had two schools in 1905, with three teachers and an enrollment of 102. The Reedville schools were consolidated with the San Marcos Independent School District of Hays County in 1949. Reedville consisted of two businesses and scattered dwellings in the late 1940s. In 1990 Reedville had a gin, a community hall, a few houses, two mobile home parks, and a cemetery that was maintained by the Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church of nearby Martindale.
Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vanessa L. Davis, "REEDVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr15), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.