RODNEY, TEXAS. Rodney, on Pin Oak Creek just off Farm Road 638 and eight miles from Dawson in Navarro County, was settled in 1834 by Joshua Graham. The land was a bounty grant given to Graham for having fought in the Texas Revolution. In 1884 a post office and a store opened there, and the post office operated in the Payne home until 1904. A school was founded at the Patterson farm. During the mid-1930s the town had a church, two businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings. It had one store and a population of thirty-five in 1945. Rodney was a dispersed rural community in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carol M. Rushing, "RODNEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr34), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.