ROLAND, TEXAS. Roland was six miles northwest of McKinney in northwestern Collin County. It was established by Lite T. Morris sometime during the 1850s and was named for one of Charlemagne's lieutenants. It apparently was also known as Liberty Springs. In 1900 Roland had a population of sixty-eight, a grocery store, and a cotton gin. W. J. Manard operated a general store, which housed a post office that operated from 1887 through 1903; Thomas S. Webb was its first postmaster. By 1910 the population was thirty-six and by the 1930s twenty-five; it was reported at that level through the 1940s, after which no further statistics were available.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "ROLAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr35), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.