ROSALIE, TEXAS. Rosalie, on Farm Road 909 in southwestern Red River County, was originally known as Wayland. By 1880 the town had a population of 200, several stores, two churches, a school, a flour mill, and a gin. The population apparently peaked about 1900 and declined as changes in transportation routes shifted trade to nearby towns. The community's once-famous springs, for centuries an oasis for travelers, were by the 1970s on private property. By the 1980s a cemetery, a church, a one-room community center, and several highway markers were all that remained of Rosalie. In 2000 the population was 100.
Mrs. Tom Watkins, Rosalie (MS, Red River County Historical Society, Clarksville, Texas, ca. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John M. Howison, "ROSALIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr37), accessed November 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.