ROSE HILL, TX (DALLAS COUNTY)
ROSE HILL, TEXAS (Dallas County). Rose Hill was at the junction of Rose Hill and Rowlett roads in what is now Garland, fifteen miles northeast of Dallas and one mile northeast of the junction of Belt Line Road and Interstate Highway 30 in eastern Dallas County. The community was on the original land grants of John Little to the northwest, W. S. Peques to the southwest, and J. W. Smith to the southeast. The site was first settled in 1853, and its post office (1884–1906) was called Housley. The community had a population of 117 in 1904 and fifty in 1910. In 1912 it had four stores, two churches, a school, a restaurant, a blacksmith, and about twenty residences. By 1931 the name had changed to Rose Hill, either for early settler P. W. Rose or for roses in the local churchyard, and the community had a population of seventy-five in 1933. Rose Hill's population increased slowly in the next three decades, eventually reaching 175 in 1964, the last time the Texas Almanac identified it as a separate community. By 1970 Rose Hill had become part of Garland.
Dallas Morning News, November 8, 1970.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "ROSE HILL, TX (DALLAS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr39), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.