ROSITA, TX (DUVAL COUNTY)
ROSITA, TEXAS (Duval County). Rosita, also known as Trevino, is on Rosita Creek eleven miles west of San Diego in north central Duval County. It was founded sometime before 1906, when thirty-eight pupils attended the Rosita school. A post office known as Trevino opened in the vicinity in 1917, with Felipe Valerio Garza as postmaster; it closed in 1929. From the mid-1920s to the mid-1930s the population of Trevino was estimated at five, but by the late 1930s the town had grown to twenty residents and one business. In the late 1940s the community, by then known as Rosita, included a church and two schools. The schools, however, had been consolidated with the San Diego Independent School District by 1968. At that time Rosita consisted of a church and scattered dwellings. The community was still shown on a 1990 map of the area, but no population estimates were available. In 2000 the population was listed at twenty-five.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "ROSITA, TX (DUVAL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr43), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.