RAY, TEXAS. Ray was a dispersed rural community east of Orient in the extreme northeastern corner of Tom Green County. It was probably settled before 1900 and had a school with two teachers in 1931. State highway maps in 1936 showed a church, the school, and scattered dwellings at the townsite, but school records indicate that the school had ceased functioning by 1933. By the 1980s the church was all that appeared on state highway maps.
Julia Grace Bitner, The History of Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Clarence George Parsons, Proposed Plan for the Reorganization of the Schools in Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "RAY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr62), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.