ROCK HILL, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)
ROCK HILL, TEXAS (Van Zandt County). Rock Hill is twelve miles southwest of Canton between State Highway 198 and Farm roads 19 and 1256 in southwest Van Zandt County. A local school was built in 1889 and had an enrollment of sixty-eight white students in 1906; a school for black children had an enrollment of 100 in the same year. Both schools were consolidated with the Martins Mill district in 1946. The first church built in the community was constructed by the Assembly of God in 1960. The community suffered a decline in population when World War II drew workers to defense plants in nearby cities, and by 1988 population estimates for the town were unavailable. The J. W. Dickerson farm was at one time the home of Western singer Box Car Willie.
Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "ROCK HILL, TX (VAN ZANDT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrr71), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on March 26, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.