REYES, TEXAS. Reyes, also known as Rangel, was twelve miles northwest of San Diego in north central Duval County. The Rangel post office opened in 1892 but closed the following year. During the 1906–07 school year 100 pupils attended the Rangel school. In 1908 a second post office, known as Reyes, was opened there with Natividad Reyes as postmaster. The first Reyes post office was closed in 1910; another was established in 1912 but closed the following year. By the late 1940s the community no longer appeared as a separate community on maps of the area, and by 1955 the Rangel school had been absorbed by the San Diego Independent School District. In 1968 Reyes had some scattered dwellings and the Rangel school; by 1975 the school had apparently closed, and by 1990 all that remained of the community were the Reyes and Rangel cemeteries, three-quarters of a mile apart.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "REYES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrrau), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.