RE, TEXAS. Re was a rural community just east of Navarro and eight miles southeast of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County. It was established in the early 1880s and named for a local store owner. A post office opened in 1881, and by 1885 Re had a general store, two churches, a cotton gin, a blacksmith, a district school, and an estimated population of seventy-five. The town began to decline in the mid-1890s when many of the residents moved to nearby Navarro, which was located near the railroad. The post office closed in 1906, and by the mid-1930s Re no longer appeared on state highway maps.
Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "RE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrrez), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.