SALEM, TX (MILAM COUNTY)
SALEM, TEXAS (Milam County). Salem is on Farm Road 1600 four miles southwest of Cameron in central Milam County. A Methodist church was established at Salem in 1849, and the church and a school shared the same building until 1890, when the church built a structure of its own. In 1903 Salem had one school with one teacher and fifty white students and a second school with one teacher and forty-three black students. The church building was destroyed by a storm in 1915 but was later rebuilt. The church disbanded in 1973, but its building still marked the townsite on the 1988 county highway map.
Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SALEM, TX (MILAM COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs02), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.