SAN ANTONIO PRAIRIE, TX
SAN ANTONIO PRAIRIE, TEXAS. San Antonio Prairie is a small agricultural community on State Highway 21 at Farm Road 60, six miles southwest of Caldwell in southwestern Burleson County. Its name was originally applied to a belt of blackland prairie extending through the center of Burleson County from southwest to northeast along either side of the Old San Antonio Road. During the mid-1830s this prairie became an axis of settlement in the region north of Yegua Creek and west of the Brazos River. Settlement in the western portion of this belt, near what is now the San Antonio Prairie community, was diffuse. The tiny rural settlement has clustered along the highway since the mid-1900s, with the completion of State Highway 21 (which follows the route of the Old San Antonio Road). In the mid-1960s the community reported fifteen residents. Further population estimates were unavailable. By the early 1990s the Texas Historical Commission had designated the cemetery at San Antonio Prairie as a Texas Historic Cemetery. Both the cemetery and rural community were shown on county highway maps in 2000.
Malcolm H. Addison, Reminiscences of Burleson County, Texas (Caldwell, Texas, 1886; rpt., Caldwell: Caldwell Printing, 1971). Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "SAN ANTONIO PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs05), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.