SAN JACINTO, TX
SAN JACINTO, TEXAS. San Jacinto is on Farm Road 1791 near its junction with Farm Road 3179, twelve miles from Huntsville in southwestern Walker County. The settlement probably derived its name from the decisive 1836 battle of the Texas Revolution (see SAN JACINTO, BATTLE OF). San Jacinto had a post office from January 19 through July 1, 1858. The San Jacinto school was built in 1900 for grades one through seven, and by 1927 it had twelve grades. The Ebenezer Baptist Church in 1916 moved to a site near San Jacinto. In 1937 the community had scattered dwellings, one school, two churches, and two country stores. High school students from San Jacinto were transferred to the Huntsville school in 1939, and in 1965 the elementary students were moved to the Richards School in Grimes County. San Jacinto had a church, a community center, and a business in 1981.
Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "SAN JACINTO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs07), accessed November 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.