SAND HILL, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)
SAND HILL, TEXAS (Upshur County). Sand Hill, a farming community seven miles northeast of Gilmer on Farm Road 555 in northeastern Upshur County, was established around 1898 by W. A. Bland, who named the community for the deep sand beds in the area. A school began operating there after 1900, and by the mid-1930s Sand Hill had a school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with the East Mountain school district, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was two churches, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 Sand Hill was a dispersed rural community. The population reached seventy-five in 2000.
G. H. Baird, A Brief History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1946). Doyal T. Loyd, A History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1966). Audie Ray, Lurline, and Douglas Ray Stanley, comps. and eds., Upshur County Cemetery Records (Gilmer, Texas, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SAND HILL, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs11), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.