SEDWICK, TEXAS. Sedwick is near the intersection of State Highway 6 and Farm Road 2312, nine miles southeast of Albany and five miles northwest of Moran in Shackelford County. It was originally known as Vesta when it was founded about 1875. The name was changed to honor local landowner John Francis Sedwick when the community became a station on the Texas Central Railroad. A cotton gin was built about 1900, and a post office was established in 1905 with Maude S. Randolph as postmistress. Sedwick grew suddenly when oil was discovered nearby in 1921, although by 1940 the population was only fifty, where it remained for about twenty years before declining. The post office closed in the mid-1930s. The community was still listed in 1990.
Don Hampton Biggers, Shackelford County Sketches (Albany, Texas: Albany News Office, 1908; rpt., ed. Joan Farmer, Albany and Fort Griffin, Texas: Clear Fork Press, 1974). Ben O. Grant, The Early History of Shackelford County (M.A. thesis, Hardin-Simmons University, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Loutina Hadaway, "SEDWICK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs24), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.