SEJITA, TEXAS. Sejita is a ranching community twenty miles south of Benavides in southern Duval County. Its name, which may mean "little eyebrow," was taken from a crescent-shaped dam which formed a local watering hole for range cattle. A post office was established in 1914 with William F. Smith as postmaster. In 1920 the community reportedly had two stores and a population of ten. By the early 1940s its estimated population had grown to fifty, and in the late 1940s the town included a school, a church, and four businesses. Its post office was closed in 1954, however, and by the late 1980s its estimated population had dropped to twenty-two. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "SEJITA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs25), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.