SEYMORE, TEXAS. Seymore (Seymour), a farming community at the junction of State Highway 154 and Farm Road 1567, ten miles south of Sulphur Springs in south central Hopkins County, was named for Hart Seymore, who settled there around 1865. A school was in operation by 1888; Bill Funderbunk had a store during the early 1900s; and a Baptist church was organized in 1914. In 1905 the public school had an enrollment of ninety-four. The community included three stores, a one-teacher school, a church, and a cemetery in 1948. The school was later consolidated with the Sulphur Springs Independent School District, and many Seymore residents moved away. By the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses. In the late 1980s Seymore was a dispersed rural community.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "SEYMORE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs31), accessed October 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.