SIMMS, TX (DEAF SMITH COUNTY)
SIMMS, TEXAS (Deaf Smith County). Simms is at the intersection of Farm roads 290 and 1412, in north central Deaf Smith County. In 1915 a one-room school was built on land owned by A. P. Simms. It remained in operation until 1934, when the Simms school was consolidated with that of Adrian in Oldham County. During the Dust Bowl and World War II, active home demonstration and 4-H clubs helped maintain the community. In 1950 a community house was erected near the old school site. By 1990 paved roads and other conveniences brought new life to Simms, and community organizations included a local women's club, a Lion's Club chapter, a Study-Craft Club, and a rural fire department. A store and two grain elevators also served the area farms. In 2000 the population was ten.
Deaf Smith County: The Land and Its People (Hereford, Texas: Deaf Smith County Historical Society, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "SIMMS, TX (DEAF SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs42), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.