SNEEDVILLE, TEXAS. Sneedville is on the North Wichita River at the intersection of Farm roads 1168 and 1278, eleven miles south of Paducah in southern Cottle County. The settlement was established in the early 1900s and was named for the family of Joseph P. Sneed, who had moved to the area in 1887. The town prospered from the then-recent introduction of cotton, and by 1908 a store, owned by J. S. Lee, and the Jim A. Goodwin gin were in operation. A population of 100 was reported by 1915. The Lone Star rural school was established in 1911 and served the area until it consolidated with the Paducah school in 1949. A post office was granted in December 1912 to Jesse J. Swaggerty, who ran the office from his store. The post office was moved to Paducah in June 1920. The population of Sneedville was estimated at 113 in 1930 and 1940, with only a few businesses reported. The Goodwin gin remained in service until it was destroyed by flood in the mid-1950s. Sneedville is shown on the 1984 county highway map.
Carmen Taylor Bennett, Our Roots Grow Deep: A History of Cottle County (Floydada, Texas: Blanco Offset Printing, 1970). Jim Wheat, More Ghost Towns of Texas (Garland, Texas: Lost and Found, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "SNEEDVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs53), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.