SPRING VALLEY, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)
SPRING VALLEY, TEXAS (McLennan County). Spring Valley, once known as Lusk, is at the intersection of Farm roads 2416 and 2113, fourteen miles southwest of Waco in southwestern McLennan County. A post office, called Lusk after an early settler, opened in May 1890 with Tilman H. Knight as postmaster; it closed in January 1891. The community then took the name of the nearby school, which had been called Leroy when it was established in 1878. However, when the Leroy community was founded in northeastern McLennan County in 1903, the school district name was changed to Spring Valley. In the 1940s the community reported fifty residents and had a church, two businesses, and several scattered houses. Only a few houses were shown at the site on a 1975 topographic map of the area. By 2000 the population had grown to 400.
Dayton Kelley, ed., The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SPRING VALLEY, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs59), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.