STYX, TEXAS. Styx is eight miles west of Cedar Creek Reservoir in extreme south central Kaufman County, near the Henderson county line. A post office operated in the settlement from 1899 until 1908, when it was replaced by rural delivery from nearby Kemp. By 1900 Styx had two general stores, a church, a school, and a population of sixty-six. By 1936 the population was twenty-five, and the settlement had two businesses. Between the end of World War II and the mid-1960s, when the last population figures for the community were reported, the population of Styx remained at eighty. The community's businesses declined from four in 1945 to two in 1966.
Kaufman County Historical Commission, History of Kaufman County (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "STYX, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs72), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.