STRINGTOWN, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)
STRINGTOWN, TEXAS (Newton County). Stringtown is on Farm Road 1414 four miles west of the Sabine River and fifty-five miles northeast of Beaumont in east central Newton County. The agricultural settlement was established in the nineteenth century. Peddlars named it Stringtown because of the way houses were strung out along the road. From 1880 to 1888 Stringtown had a post office named Rainbow, after an old county road which went through the community. The community was also called Griggs, after a common surname among local residents. A small tram railroad ran near Stringtown during the 1920s and carried locally cut timber out of the area to lumbermills. Stringtown last had a school in 1941–42, and the community's estimated population was between eighty and ninety in 1974. Stringtown was still listed as a community in 1990.
Newton County Historical Commission, Crosscuts: An Anthology of Memoirs of Newton County Folk (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "STRINGTOWN, TX (NEWTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs76), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.