SOMMER'S MILL, TX
SOMMER'S MILL, TEXAS. Sommer's Mill (Summer's Mills) is on Salado Creek and Farm Road 1123, five miles southeast of Belton in southeastern Bell County. D. C. Summers built a mill on the site about 1880, and a post office with the name Summer's Mills opened in 1881. In 1884 the community had three churches, a general store, flour and saw mills, and a cotton gin and shipped cotton, cottonseed, and wheat. By 1896 the settlement had a population of seventy-five, which grew to 129 by 1904. The local school had fifty-eight pupils and one teacher in 1903. The post office was closed in 1903. The community was identified as Sommer's Mill in 1948, by which time it had a school and a collection of dwellings. By 1964 Sommer's Mill had a cemetery, several houses, and a number of abandoned buildings. The population in 1990 was six. The population remained the same in 2000.
A Memorial and Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell, and Coryell Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893; rpt., St. Louis: Ingmire, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SOMMER'S MILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs95), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.