SAND HILL, TX (SHELBY COUNTY)
SAND HILL, TEXAS (Shelby County). Sand Hill is a community four miles southwest of Center in southern Shelby County. In 1903 there was a white common school district named Sand Hill that served thirty-four children. The community named Sand Hill, however, is a predominantly black rural community that was probably named for the deep, sandy soils and the numerous hills in the area. The town developed around Mount Horeb Baptist Church, which was organized around 1908. In 1988 the community had the church, a cemetery, and scattered houses.
Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SAND HILL, TX (SHELBY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrs98), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.