SCHERZ, TEXAS. Scherz, a dispersed rural community, was eight miles south of San Angelo in south central Tom Green County. It was probably named for William Scherz, an early resident who settled on Lipan Flat near Lipan Springs. The local school had one teacher in 1931 and thirty-five pupils in 1933. State highway maps in 1936 showed the school at the townsite, but by the 1980s the school was abandoned and the community had disappeared.
Julia Grace Bitner, The History of Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Clarence George Parsons, Proposed Plan for the Reorganization of the Schools in Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). San Angelo Standard Times, August 29, 1954.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SCHERZ, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsah), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.