SPIVEY, TEXAS. Spivey was twelve miles north of Center in northern Shelby County. It was established in the 1860s and named for the Spivey family, early settlers in the area. The community received a post office in 1890, with Isaac W. Spivey as postmaster. The post office was discontinued in 1903 and the mail forwarded to nearby Paxton. In 1896 the community had a sawmill, the Friendship Baptist Church, Friendship Cemetery, and a population estimated at fifty. By 1946 Spivey had ceased to exist as a named community.
Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SPIVEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsal), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.