SCOTTS CHAPEL, TX
SCOTTS CHAPEL, TEXAS. Scotts Chapel, two miles south of Farm Road 1304 and twelve miles southwest of Hillsboro in southwest Hill County, was named after J. B. Scott, who settled in the area with Mr. and Mrs. P. G. Scott in 1852, when the county was part of Navarro County. P. G. Scott donated land for a school and church, and his brother, Burris Scott, donated land for a cemetery. A few years later David Steele moved to the area and bought a farm for fifty cents an acre from the state of Texas. He later bought an adjoining farm for a dollar an acre. The log cabin that he lived in was still standing in 1989. In 1866 Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Treadwell, devout Methodists, provided financial support for Scotts Chapel Church, one of the oldest in the county. The Treadwell school, organized in 1920 in nearby Menlow, was presumably named after this family. Scotts Chapel had sixty-four students attending its school in 1905–06. A 1936 map shows the Scotts Chapel Cemetery and only a few dozen scattered dwellings in the area. A 1986 map shows only the cemetery remaining. James William Scott, who fought at the siege of Bexar, and Sam McFall, survivor of the Mier expedition, are reportedly buried there.
Ellis Bailey, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1838–1965 (Waco: Texian Press, 1966). A. Y. Kirkpatrick, The Early Settlers' Life in Texas, and the Organization of Hill County (Waco: Texian Press, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tarlton W. Kennedy, "SCOTTS CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsaq), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.