SIMMONS, TX (MARION COUNTY)
SIMMONS, TEXAS (Marion County). Simmons was on a country road nine miles northwest of Jefferson and five miles east of State Highway 49, near the Cass County line in northern Marion County. The community was probably named for Jonathan B. Simmons, who owned land just to the north in Cass County. The Simmons school had eleven pupils and one teacher in 1899 and was gone by the 1930s. Simmons consisted of a cemetery and several scattered dwellings in 1936. By 1983 all that remained of the community was the cemetery.
Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SIMMONS, TX (MARION COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsay), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.