SAND FLAT CHURCH, TX
SAND FLAT CHURCH, TEXAS. Sand Flat Church, also known as Sand Flat, is on Farm Road 2022 sixteen miles southeast of Palestine in southeastern Anderson County. The community, presumably named for the sandy local soil, was settled before the Civil War. In 1898 the Sand Flat school had some twenty black students and one teacher. There were several scattered dwellings at the townsite during the 1940s. By 1982 the community consisted of a church and several dwellings. In 2000 no trace of the community appeared on county maps.
Pauline Buck Hohes, A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SAND FLAT CHURCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsba), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.