SWANSON HILL CHURCH, TX
SWANSON HILL CHURCH, TEXAS. Swanson Hill Church, formerly known as Deanwright, is a rural church community on Farm Road 323 four miles southeast of Palestine in central Anderson County. In the 1930s, when the community was called Deanwright, the site had a number of dwellings, a church, and the Swanson Hill school. The school was probably named for H. C. Swanson, an early settler in the area, and served some eighty-eight white pupils in 1932. By 1955 the school had consolidated with that of Palestine, and in 1982 the community was known as Swanson Hill Church and consisted of the church and several scattered dwellings. The church was still standing in 1985. By 2000 no trace of the community was shown on county maps.
Pauline Buck Hohes, A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936). Thomas Paul Jones, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Anderson County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SWANSON HILL CHURCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsbb), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.