SUGAR LOAF, TX
SUGAR LOAF, TEXAS. Sugar Loaf was twelve miles northeast of Copperas Cove in southeastern Coryell County. It was settled in 1852 and named for its proximity to Sugar Loaf Mountain. A post office was established there in 1874, but Sugar Loaf faded after being bypassed by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe line in 1882. In the 1890s the community had a general store, a gristmill and gin, and a population of thirty. When the post office was discontinued in 1899, mail for the community was sent to Brookhaven in Bell County. Residents of Sugar Loaf were forced to move when the Fort Hood military reservation was established in the early 1940s.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SUGAR LOAF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsbf), accessed December 05, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.