SHILOH, TX (ATASCOSA COUNTY)
SHILOH, TEXAS (Atascosa County). Shiloh is a farming community on Farm Road 1470 near Galvan Creek, two miles west of Leming and five miles northeast of Poteet in north central Atascosa County. A community by this name existed in the area as early as 1857, when the first burial was conducted in the Shiloh Cemetery. A schoolhouse was built in 1868 and was also used for Baptist services until a separate church was completed in 1878. Until the end of the 1800s the community also had a general store. The school had fifty-one white students and one teacher in 1904, but was consolidated with Pleasanton schools soon after that. No population figures were available for Shiloh, which is often shown on maps as Shiloh Cemetery. In 1936 the community included only the cemetery and a few widely scattered dwellings. The cemetery was deeded in 1874 with eight acres and was still in use in the 1980s. In 1985 the Texas Historical Commission placed a historical marker at Shiloh Cemetery. No population estimates were available for the community in 2000.
Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Historical marker files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Linda Peterson, "SHILOH, TX (ATASCOSA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsbn), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.