STORMVILLE, TEXAS. Stormville is a rural community on Farm Road 2225 a mile west of Lake Fork Reservoir and seven miles north of Quitman in northwestern Wood County. By 1878 the community had a post office called Stormville, probably after W. Storm, who at one time owned a flour mill and gin there. By 1884 the community had a population of fifty, and in 1896 it reported some ten businesses, including a blacksmith and carpenter, three masons, two physicians, a gristmill and gin, and two teachers (including a music teacher). Stormville had twenty-eight white students in its one-teacher school in 1905. That same year the post office closed. By the 1930s Stormville comprised a number of dwellings along country roads and the school, which in 1932 reported an enrollment of thirty-six white students in eight grades. Though by the early 1960s Stormville had all but disappeared, by 1980 a few structures existed in the area, and the 1988 county highway map showed a church at the community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "STORMVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsbp), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.